At Leighswood we believe that every child is a reader , author , performer and orator
We take great pride in creating an atmosphere that promotes a love of literature and learning . Our children are readers, writers, journalists, performers and poets and are truly engulfed in a culture that is inspired through the world of words.
“Reading is breathing in - writing is breathing out.”
Our relationship with reading and writing flows naturally and our children here at Leighswood are inspired to create through their exposure to a rich and varied tapestry of books, plays and storytelling. We believe that through experiencing quality language and literature , we create the next generation of inspirational and innovative authors, performers and orators . :
Our children will become
- Resourceful and engaged in the literary world around them
- Resilient when things go wrong
- Reciprocal and can communicate and develop their ideas by listening and explaining.
- Reflective and use their knowledge and skills to make links with other areas.
Wonder Investigate Learn Discover
- Developing a sense of joy and wonder through the world of literature
- Wild reading days - where can you read? upside down? in a den? on a boat?
- Learning from , researching , discussing and debating things we read and hear about .
- Visiting autors, poets and orators
- Taking time to work things out and not being afraid of making mistakes. All authors do!
- Reading is the window to knowledge especially in Forest school - discover why the wind blows, how the seasons change
- Discovering the world through a love of literature and language. Moving our learning forward ourselves in our never ending journey of discovery